Shere appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Essira and Essire in the ancient hundred of Blackheath. It was held by William the Conqueror. Its Domesday assets were: 1 church, 2 mills worth 10s per year, 14 ploughs, 3 acres (1.2 ha) of meadow, woodland worth 50 hogs. It rendered £15 per year to its overlords.
In 1086, when Gomshall was royal demesne, the villeins (villagers) there were exempt from the sheriff’s jurisdiction; Gomshall Netley and Gomshall Towerhill manors had court baron. Eleanor, Countess of Ormond owning the Vachery manor, had view of frankpledge in Gomshall Towerhill. In 1281 William Braose was granted free warren there
In the 13th century Roger de Clare settled for a life-rent on the church and sold the manor of Shere to a grandson of Geoffrey Fitz Peter, 1st Earl of Essex. In turn his grandson divided the manor, according with the law of moiety title to his daughter John Butler who thus received the new manor of Shiere Vachery; while Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster (‘the red Earl’) received Shiere Ebor(acum). Two other manors evolved.